Overnight on May 24, Russian forces launched one of the largest attacks on Kyiv and the surrounding region since the start of the war, using dozens of missiles, including ballistic ones, hundreds of attack drones, and an “Oreshnik” missile system reportedly deployed by Russia for the third time since the full-scale invasion began.
According to the Ukrainian Air Force, Russia launched 90 missiles and 600 drones during the combined assault. Ukrainian military officials reported that 16 missiles and 51 drones struck targets across 54 locations. Kyiv was the primary focus of the attack.
Reuters
According to Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko, two people were killed. The number of injured rose to 69, including children. Thirty-six people were hospitalized, while others received medical treatment at the scene.
Damage was reported in every district of Kyiv, though the heaviest destruction was concentrated in the Shevchenkivskyi district. Near Lukianivska metro station, the Kvadrat shopping center and the nearby Lukianivskyi market were almost completely destroyed by fire. Not far from the site is the Artem plant, linked to Ukraine’s defense industry and previously targeted multiple times in Russian strikes.
Reuters
Reuters
Cultural sites were also damaged in the attack. The National Art Museum of Ukraine, the Chornobyl Museum, and the Ukrainian House—currently hosting the exhibition “Chornobyl. Shelter Object”—all sustained damage. Volodymyr Zelensky, together with Interior Minister Ihor Klymenko, visited the damaged Chornobyl Museum.
Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha said the Foreign Ministry building in central Kyiv also suffered minor damage.
Reuters
“Looking at the shattered windows this morning, I can say with complete confidence on behalf of our entire diplomatic team: Russian terrorists will not force us to stop,” Sybiha wrote.
The offices of the UNIAN news agency were also hit, the editorial staff said.
The attack also struck the Kyiv region. In the Bucha and Obukhiv districts, two people were killed and another nine injured, according to regional governor Mykola Kalashnyk.
The strike involving the “Oreshnik” missile system targeted the area around Bila Tserkva, roughly 50 miles south of Kyiv, Ukrainian Air Force spokesman Yurii Ihnat confirmed. According to him, the missile was launched from the Kapustin Yar testing range in Russia. Officials have not disclosed the full consequences of the strike. Kalashnyk only reported damage to a garage cooperative and company buildings in the Bila Tserkva district.
Russia’s Defense Ministry confirmed the use of the “Oreshnik” system and said the strikes targeted “military command facilities.” According to the ministry, the attack also involved Iskander, Kinzhal, and Zircon missiles.
The Russian Defense Ministry said the strike was retaliation for what it described as “Ukrainian terrorist attacks against civilian facilities on Russian territory.”
Two days earlier, Vladimir Putin commented on a Ukrainian strike against a college in Starobilsk in the self-proclaimed Luhansk People’s Republic. The Russian president called the incident a “terrorist attack” and said he had instructed the Defense Ministry to prepare response measures.
Ukraine’s General Staff rejected accusations of targeting civilian infrastructure, calling Moscow’s statements “manipulative.” According to the Ukrainian side, the intended target was “one of the headquarters” of the Russian Rubikon unit in the Starobilsk area.